Thursday, September 11, 2008

Has the iPhone overloaded the AT&T 3G network?

So I'm sitting here working through technical problems with a vendor tonight, and to my surprise my iPhone with all the reception problems is working great. I haven't had a dropped call or choppy conversations all night.

That's very strange. During the day I can't carry on a 5-minute conversation without dropping a conversation, or at least getting a complaint about the quality of my voice.

But at 1:40AM? No problems.
I live in the heart of downtown. My neighborhood is congested during the day with thousands of iPhone users at any given moment. Evenings are normally packed with the bar/restaurant/theater/concert crowd. But at 1:40AM you are taking your last drink and heading home (safely of course - we have mass transit in Denver). The point is that the number of people on their phones is decreased dramatically.

So this got me thinking...
Could it be that the iPhone is overloading the AT&T networks? iPhone users tend to use 30 times as much data as regular cellphone users, consuming 100MB per month on average. Even though the article refers to Germany, that's been my approximate data usage month-to-month as well since last year.

So each iPhone user is equivalent to 30 regular AT&T subscribers.

Doing the math, that means if you sell 6-million iPhones, you've really added the equivalent of 180-million phones worth of traffic to the AT&T 3G network. We know that AT&T's already struggling to catch up with the infrastructure for their 3G network, so maybe this is making the problem worse?

Keep in mind that this is less than a scientific observation, but it is an observation. Has anybody else experienced anything similar?

0 comments: