Wednesday, September 10, 2008

How to enable Entourage syncing to iPhone and iPod touch

Entourage contact and calendar syncing to your iPhone is easy. It requires the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.5 If your Microsof Office isn't already updated, download the latest updates here. or use the built-in Microsoft AutoUpdate application.

Once you have installed the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.5 Update, the Sync Services option in Entourage will be available (In Entourage, choose Entourage > Preferences and click Sync Services under General Preferences).

Select the check-boxes for Synchronize Contacts and Synchronize Events so Entourage contacts and calendars will sync with Address Book and iCal. After that, iTunes can sync the data to iPhone and iPod touch.

Select the sync option that represents where you keep you information up-to-date. If all of your information is in Entourage and not Address Book, then select "Replace Sync Services items with Entourage items." If all of your information is in Address Book, then select the "Replace Entourage items with Sync Services items." If you have a mix of information in Entourage and Address Book, then you may want to select the "Merge Entourage items with Sync Services items."

It's also good to note that Entourage does not need to be open when syncing iPhone or iPod touch, so you don't have to keep all of your windows open.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I bought my iPhone, I switched from Entourage to Mail (kind of a hassle, but not terribly painful).

Think it's worth the brain damage of switching back?

Eric

Allen Klosowski said...

There is no real good reason to use Entourage in my opinion unless you are using an Exchange server. It's slower, takes more system resources, and doesn't sync as easily with the iPhone. Also, I find that I use my mail account as a personal database, and Mail.app has the fastest search times overall when looking for a message.

Additionally, .Mac doesn't sync over multiple computers with Entourage like it does with Mail.app. I like Mail.app because signatures easily sync between computers, and the iPhone setup is automagic.

So if I were you, I'd skip the switch. Unless of course you are using Exchange. Then it might be worth it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks-- no need, then.

I sure hope Apple comes through on Friday. My 30 days is up tomorrow, so I'm taking a serious risk waiting one more day.

Allen Klosowski said...

And it is a serious risk no doubt. I've gone over by a day, and they are not lenient with that.

Mine is out of the 30-day return period, or I'd seriously be considering giving it back.

The drawback for me is that I use a lot more data than voice, and iPhone does data so well. So I'm inclined to let the voice slip a little because email/twitter/facebook/blogging, etc. is so much easier on the iPhone than anything else.

Here's hoping for Firmware 2.1!